This Saturday the Tour de Fat comes to the Triangle bringing merriment, bewilderment, amusement and also some serious refreshment. Come on an 8 mile ride with us to the American Tobacco Campus to enjoy the festivities! Why? It’s free to attend but TdF proceeds (beer sales!) benefit local non-profit cycling groups and bicycle-afflicted charities including BikeWalk NC, Triangle Spokes Group and the Durham Bike Co-Op. Holla!
Oaks and Spokes will be leading a ride to the Tour de Fat down the fabulous American Tobacco Trail into downtown Durham. Meet at 9:30AM at Southpoint Mall at the trail connection right behind the AMC Theatre. We’ll cruise north on the ATT (yes, we will be going over the new bridge!) and into downtown Durham in style, just in time for the Parade. We will depart promptly at 9:45AM!
We welcome folks from Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Cary, Morrisville, Raleigh, and beyond to carpool to Southpoint and join us. The total round trip from Southpoint Mall to the American Tobacco Campus is 16 miles for those who keep score.
Saturday July 21 – Abbreviated TdF schedule with your friends at Oaks and Spokes:
- 9:30 a.m. – Meet up for 45 minute bike ride to downtown Durham with O&S from Southpoint (35.905870, -78.945184) on the ATT. Please be respectful of other users on the trail!
- 10 a.m. — Parade Registration
- 11 a.m. — Bike Parade Launch
- 12 p.m. — Fashion! Best costumes of TdF show
- 1 p.m. — The Slow Ride Race
- 2:10 p.m. — 1,000-Person Dance Contest (winner receives a New Belgium cruiser bike)
- 3:20 p.m. — Car for Bike Trade
- 5 p.m. — Finale
- We anticipate that groups may want to leave the TdF at different points throughout the day’s festivities. You may form small groups to ride back to Southpoint at your own convenience. Just follow the trail back from whence you came. Remember to drink responsibly!