The City of Raleigh is currently reviewing the parks system to develop a plan for shaping the future of our parks and Greenways. The city needs input regarding how we use the existing Greenways and what changes we would like to see in use, expansion and maintenance. The Draft Plan is considering expansion of the current Greenways and closing gaps in the existing trails to provide better connectivity; installation of pedestrian and bicycle connections to the nearest transit stops; development of a safety and etiquette program to provide education to all trail users; and providing better maintenance for the trails.
Please click ahead for details on how to make a difference!
The Plan can be reviewed in its entirety by visiting:
Please reach out to the project developers by sending an email showing your support for the project! Below is a form letter which you may use. Review the letter and edit it as you see fit. Consider how you use the Greenways and what improvements you would like to see to the system. Give particular consideration to gaps in the system which you would like to see closed and provide the project developers with specific examples. Now’s your chance!
Dear City of Raleigh:
As a Raleigh resident who frequently utilizes the Greenways, I am writing to show my support for the Draft Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources System Plan. I believe that the implementation of the Greenways goals, as set out in the Draft, is essential to expanding the network of paths, educating the public on the multiple uses for these paths, and ensuring the safety of all citizens while utilizing this resource.
As a bicyclist, I am especially in support of the below Goals and Action Items from the plan which I feel will add to the community’s ability to utilize the Greenways for both transportation and recreation in a safe and courteous manner:
- I support the addition of greenway trails to expand the current system. I would like to see those additions reach to connect with the surrounding municipalities. I support closing the gaps in the existing system to ensure continuous travel to a variety of destinations. (Goal 2; Objectives A,C&F)
- I support installation of pedestrian and bicycle connections to the nearest public transit stops and coordination with public transit to identify greenway crossings and access points on transit maps. I would like to see the greenway develop as a major system for commuters. (Goal 2; Objectives C&D)
- I support the development of a safety and etiquette program to provide education to all trail users. I also support the development of educational programs and signage to provide trail users with expanded way finding resources. (Goal 3; Objectives B&C)
- I support the maintenance of the Greenways. I would like an emphasis placed on maintaining the quality of the paths’ surfaces and quick response to clean up the paths when passage becomes difficult due to weather events and debris. (Goal 3; Objective E)
Thank you for taking the time to consider my comments on future of the Greenways.
Your name, your address
Submit the letter by email to the below address:
The city is holding four open forums for you to provide input regarding the plan and ask any questions which you may have.
The forums will be held at the following times and locations:
- Monday, March 24, 6:30-8:30 PM at Green Road Community Center, 4201 Green Road, Raleigh, NC 27604
- Tuesday, March 25, 6:30-8:30 PM at Chavis Community Center, 505 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Raleigh, NC 27601
- Thursday, March 27, 6:30-8:30 PM at Lake Lynn Community Center, 7921 Ray Road, Raleigh, NC 27613
- Saturday, March 29, 11:30 AM-1:30 PM at Five Points Center for Active Adults, 2000 Noble Road, Road, Raleigh, NC 27608